Promoting regional solutions with global perspectives
Rhodes Model Regional Co-operation or RhodesMRC is presenting its 13th version with two conferences for university students and graduates and for high school students respectively.
Being academically innovative, RhodesMRC has brought for the first time in its region simulations of the Union of the Mediterranean, the Black Sea Economic Co-operation, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, the League of Arab States, the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation or the Organization of American States, along with simulations of the EuroAtlantic Partnership Council or the North Atlantic Council of NATO and the Council of Europe. Before the pandemic, RhodesMRC was one of the largest youth leadership events in the world, targeting high school students, university undergraduates and graduates, young scientists and professionals, for the most satisfying conference experience, assuming the role of diplomats and simulating the proceedings of some of the most important regional International Governmental Organizations, in multiple fields like democracy and human rights, peace building, security, sustainable development, financial and economic cooperation, a.o.
The 13th RhodesMRC 2023 will take place in Rhodes, Greece, October 18-22, 2023, for the university edition – open to both students and graduates -, and November 09-12, 2023, for the high school level.
Students, young scientists of law, political science or international relations and diplomats, or just international relations “fans”, gather together in Rhodes every year to simulate the works of the organs and committees of a series regional international organizations, gaining valuable experience on negotiations and resolution making, while specializing to demanding topics focused on specific regions of the planet.
For its academic innovation and unique nature, RhodesMRC has received various recognitions:
- the auspices of HAH, the Ecumenical Patriarch, Bartholomew I, in 2019;
- the auspices and support of NATO’s Public Diplomacy Division, for 2018, 2019 and 2022;
- the patronage of the Organization of Black Sea Economic Co-operation and the Secretary General of its PERMIS, Ambassador Michael B. Christides, for 2018 and 2019;
- the patronage of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Mr. Thorbjørn Jagland, for 2015, 2016 and 2017;
- the official support of 18 Embassies and Foreign Missions in Athens for 2017, under the initiative RhodesMRC Embassy Program; 8 Embassies have renewed their support in 2018;
- the official support of the United Nations Regional Information Center for Western Europe, for 2017;
- its inclusion to the official calendar of 2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development, as celebrated by the World Tourism Organization, being a fine example of academic tourism and an incubator of young travelers that learn to cherish diversity and respect cultural heritage;
- its inclusion to the official calendar of the European Year of Youth 2022;
- distinction as one of the top projects for European Youth in 2013 by the Nantes Creative Generations program in France;
- being the cornerstone of the House of Europe in Rhodes award by the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean, in 2012.
Our core values are working “towards effective peacebuilding and sustainable development on a regional level” and to “promote regional solutions with global perspectives”. The organizations picked to be simulated and the topics selected to be discussed are always inspired by this central directive, and, from 2017 onwards, RhodesMRC honors and has committed itself to the accomplishment of the Sustainable Development Goals, as set by the United Nations, making the conference indeed relatable with modern challenges while focusing in the various regions, where regional co-operation is indeed a tangible reality.
Organizers, Affiliations and Partners
RhodesMRC 2023 is being organized by the House of Europe in Rhodes. The Region of South Aegean, the City of Rhodes, the Chamber of Industry & Commerce of Dodecanese, the Dept. of Mediterranean Studies of the University of the Aegean, and the Europe Direct South Aegean, serve as organizing partners.
RhodesMRC 2023 is organized in cooperation with the European Network for Education and Training, e.V. – EUNET and the Greek Network of the Anna Lindh Foundation. Τhe International Center for Black Sea Studies, the Center of International and European Studies of Kadir-Has University, the Institute of European Integration and Policy, the Institute of International Relations in Athens and the Institute of International Economic Relations serve as academic partners, while RhodesMRC is strongly affiliated with similar conferences in Greece and abroad, like ThessISMUN, and the EUSYP Project.
RhodesMRC 2023 is also locally supported by the Museum of Modern Greek Art, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Dodecanese, Development Company of Dodecanese – ANDO, Rhodes Municipal Organization on Culture-Sports DOPAR, Municipal Businesses of Rhodes SA – Kallithea Springs a.o..
RhodesMRC 2023 is under the auspices of the Greek National Commission for Human Rights.
RhodesMRC 2023 is dedicated to / supports the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the celebrations of the 75th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and supports the MUN Refugee Challenge of the UNHCR.
The Organizing Committee
A highly-experienced Organizing Committee oversees all aspects of running such a demanding task, securing that the overall experience of the RhodesMRC participants will be the best possible, combining a fine academic exercise with the various cultural and historical offerings of Rhodes, including its Medieval City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The conference takes place inside historical buildings and venues in Rhodes historical center, ensuring the participants take favor of the local experience while the city itself is being revitalized with the hundreds of aspiring young diplomats conquering every corner. An experience already enjoyed by more than 6000 people from 30 countries.
Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
NATO’s North Atlantic Council (NATO)
Council of Europe (CoE)
African Union (AU)
Council of the European Council (EU)
Union for the Mediterranean (UfM)
League of Arab State (LAS)
Organization of American States (OAS)
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
Rhodes Judicial Conference on Human Rights (RJCHR)