Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki Model United Nations
- Thessaloniki, Greece
- Thessaloniki-Thermi km 9
- Nov 12 - Nov 14, 2021
- 250 Delegates
- €25.00 Fee
Delegate Applications16 Mar 2021 - 26 Sep 2021
Chair Applications08 Mar 2021 - 17 Apr 2021
Delegation Applications16 Mar 2021 - 26 Sep 2021
DSTMUN: a conference made by students for students
Dear MUN Directors, Advisors, Delegates,
It is with great pleasure that we hereby invite you to the fourth DSTMUN conference (Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki Model United Nations Conference) taking place from Friday 12th November to Sunday 14th November 2021 at the premises of the Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki/Germaniki Scholi Thessaloniki (DST). We sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you all in person by then, but we are also preparing an online conference as an alternative.
A three-day-long simulation of the proceedings of the United Nations, DSTMUN is designed for junior high school and high school students (grades 8 to 12) and provides them with the opportunity to improve their English-speaking as well as debating skills when discussing global issues in an international environment. Delegates will not only profit from the conference’s official language being English (employed for preparing resolutions, lobbying and debating as well as for socializing with delegates from other countries), but they will also come into contact with the world of diplomacy as they do research on their country’s positions, prepare declarations and resolutions, and learn to negotiate and cooperate according to UN regulations, all the while developing their skills of critical analysis, public speaking and compromising.
Being a conference made by students for students, DSTMUN proves that youth is indeed capable of achieving important tasks, which is exactly what delegates will be called upon to do during the three days of our conference.
The conference will consist of four General Assembly Committees (Disarmament and International Security Committee; Economic and Financial Committee; Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee; Special Political and Decolonization Committee) as well as five specialized committees (Security Council, Council of the European Union, Special Conference on the Preservation of Cultural Heritage and Art, Arctic Council as a Crisis Committee, International Court of Justice). Depending on the committee they take part in, delegates will do research on their topic, draft resolutions and policy statements on various issues and learn to follow the rules and formal ways set by the United Nations.
This year’s conference topic being “Preservation of Cultural Heritage during COVID-19”, we look forward to inspired debates aiming to determine solutions on a global scale at this time of challenge for us all. “The global nature of the COVID-19 crisis is a call for the international community to reinvest in international cooperation and intergovernmental dialogue” said Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO in April 2020. The pandemic has made the necessity for global solutions and individual contributions to mankind’s problems abundantly clear. In this regard, your pursuit of individual development at this MUN conference will not only serve you well yourself, but will ultimately contribute to human development worldwide.
The DSTMUN website (www.dstmun.com) provides you with all necessary details concerning registration, procedure, and agenda. We urge you to take advantage of the first registration period, ending on June 27th.
Please feel free to contact our team for any further information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We very much hope to welcome you at our conference in November!
Disarmament and International Security Committee (GA1)
- Ensuring regional security and stability in the Baltic Sea
- Combatting illicit organ trafficking
Economic and Financial Committee (GA2)
- Balancing economic and environmental challenges in the COVID-19 pandemic aftermath
- Investing in health care to foster economic development
Social Humanitarian and Cultural Committee (GA3)
- Realizing the Sustainable Development Goals and other internationally agreed development goals for persons with disabilities
- Combating discrimination against Roma people around the world
Special Political and Decolonization Committee (GA4)
- The question of the Ethiopian Renaissance Dam
- Addressing the digitalisation of elections
Security Council (SC)
- Drafting a blueprint for the withdrawal of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) in accordance with Cypriotic -Turkish peace talks
- Reducing drug trafficking along the South Eastern European region
- The situation in the African Great Lakes region
Council of the European Union (EU)
- Free trade agreements with non-member countries
- Forming a common European policy on nuclear energy
- Promoting the creative and audiovisual arts sector within the European Union
Special Conference on the preservation of cultural heritage and art (SPECON)
- The protection of underwater cultural heritage
- The issue of harmful cultural practices towards women and girls
- Tackling the cultural crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
Crisis Committee: Arctic Council
- Preserving and promoting the cultural heritage of local indigenous populations
- The militarization of the Arctic Region
International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany v. Italy: Greece intervening)